I know, I know… I’ve taken quite the hiatus lately! However, does it really count as a hiatus if you’ve only written four times? Well, since I’m the one writing, yes, it does.
There has been lots happening with our fam lately! As I flippantly mention more about Danville on Facebook and read the responses and questions, I’m reminded that I’m far overdue for this update.
First off, we sold our home! We moved to Danville (get to that in a bit) on a Friday, closed on the house Monday, and left for Mexico Wednesday. It felt like somewhat of a whirlwind, but we were both so glad that we decided to get it all done before vacation. So back to Danville… we had not found a home to buy by the time we closed, so thankfully, we had an option in Danville. We are living in Todd’s Grandmother’s home. Since she only has her bedroom suite in the assisted living facility she currently lives in, we, or Todd had to do some finagling with her fully furnished house (and closets), but we are in and comfortable!
I’ve learned that Nanny and I definitely have one thing in common… our unwillingness to relinquish clothing. I’ve always had a hard time getting rid of clothes on account that I MAY wear that Mickey Mouse t-shirt from 1991 again sometime. You know, to paint or garden in, because I do both so often. Nanny has got the clothes! In addition to the wardrobe she keeps at her new place, she also had all three closets in her house full, as well! When you lived through the Depression, you at least have an excuse… I, however, do not. My husband, Mr. Handy remedied this situation with plain, old PVC pipe. In about ten minutes, we had a freestanding, double-decker closet in the most appropriate place… the formal living room, of course. He is so clever and it works out great, except for the fact that the other half of the room is completely full of our things, and you can’t get to the light switch. So, until my sweet co-worker let me borrow some motion lights, you were out of luck picking out clothes at night or in the morning.
It’s close quarters and once Elaine is sleeping, it’s pretty much ‘silence on the set’ at our house, but I am enjoying the small town feel and convenience of everything. Wal-Mart, Kroger, and Burke’s Bakery are less than five minutes away! I even run into people I know while I’m out, which is new for me. Have I mentioned Burke’s??? We just feel so fortunate to be in this situation and excited about what God has next! We haven’t had much luck with the house hunt, but in the meantime we’ll just continue enjoying our kind neighbors, having one set of Elaine’s grandparents in the same town, and our cozy, borrowed home.
Just for a little update on sweet, Elaine. She is Miss friendly these days and will go to almost anyone. When I say “go to”, I mean arms up and reaching. This includes her Gram, which unfortunately was associated with us leaving her until not long ago. We have really come a long way, there. Just this weekend at Church, one of the greeters (who we’ve never met) was holding her while passing out bulletins. She has found a toy bin that Nanny had for when her great-grandchildren came over, and has become quite attached to a plastic cow. He is taken everywhere including the bathtub at night. When you ask her about the cow, her response is always “mmmmmm”. We’re working on adding the “oooooo” to that! She will also tell you what the pig says, but it’s not “oink”… she really snorts, a trait she has been perfecting since birth. Nicole, her fellow snorting buddy would be so proud! She loves being chased up and down the hall and hiding under a quilt that Nanny has hanging on the wall. She started using the sign for “more” at the dinner table and since we always oblige when she asks for more food, she now uses it for everything. If she wants that out-of-reach whatever, she’ll sign and say “more more”, which really sounds like “muu muu”. She is just full of cuteness and we are really enjoying this fun age. Another big milestone we’ve hit is graduating from the “Wobbler room” at daycare. This Monday she will be in the “Red Room”. In the red room they nap on cots and sit in tiny chairs at tiny tables to eat. She has been visiting for a couple of weeks and seems to love being there. One of her teachers asked Todd if she was always so happy… gotta love hearing that from the people you trust your child with for a good portion of the day! Our baby girl is getting so big and time is flying by, but we are just soaking up each and every moment we have with her and enjoying the crazy ride that is parenthood.
Thursday, April 7, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Meet My Amazing Friend!
Meet my friend, Amanda... Isn't she pretty? :) I met Amanda at a post-college group held at our Church here in Lexington. I knew r...
-
A friend at work was given the challenge to make a list of 100 things she likes. Anything. As she was talking about how difficult it was f...
-
I know, I know… I’ve taken quite the hiatus lately! However, does it really count as a hiatus if you’ve only written four times? Well, sin...
-
Oh, so much has happened since the last time I wrote, I’m not even sure where to begin! One BIG change in the Kelly household is me, litera...
I so enjoyed reading this! Glad you all are happy and cozy :) Anthony and I were laughing because we are in a similar situation. We are moving into my grandfather's home in Pikeville until we can build. The one problem with the house...closet space! We were going to buy a rack or two for the spare bedroom, but after reading this, Anthony may have to prove his handyman skills. Haha! Love you guys! Sounds like Elaine is happy as can be!
ReplyDelete